Acceptable Use Policy
This Acceptable Use Policy ("Policy") governs the usage of Mediawest's products and services ("Services"). This Policy is incorporated by reference into each contract Mediawest enters into with a customer ("Customer") for the use of such Services.
The Customer may not use Mediawest's network to engage in any illegal, abusive, or irresponsible activities, including but not limited to:
Bulk or Commercial Email.
- Attempting to gain unauthorized access to a network's systems or equipment (including those of Mediawest and its customers), including scanning or probing of those networks for vulnerabilities that may result in a security breach ("hacking, "cracking").
- Monitoring or "sniffing" network traffic for the purpose of gaining unauthorized access to data.
- Participating in activities that may result in interference with the proper functioning of a network (including those of Mediawest and its customers), including but not limited to port scanning, TCP-IP packet flooding, denial-of-service attacks, and email bombing.
- Participating in activities generally referred to as "Internet scamming", including but not limited to password robbery and using websites and/or email to fraudulently gain access to private information ("phishing").
- Forging of any TCP-IP packet header or any part of the header information in an e-mail or a newsgroup posting.
- Using the Services to conduct any business or activity that is prohibited by law, including but not limited to illegal drugs, gambling, pornography, prostitution, robbery, spreading computer viruses, cracking into private computer systems, software infringement, trafficking in stolen credit card numbers, or any other criminal activity.
This information governs the use of bulk email within Mediawest's network. In general, you may not:
You may send out legitimately solicited ("Opt-in") bulk email under the following conditions:
- Use the Services to send mass unsolicited e-mail ("UCE", "Spam", "Junk Email") to third parties.
- Use a third-party service provider to send out mass unsolicited e-mail that advertises a website or service hosted on the Mediawest network.
- Retain documentation that any emails sent out were requested by the receiver.
- Provide a clear link on the email to a removal page where the receiver and easily remove their address ("Opt-out").
- The email includes a clearly marked and working reply address.
You may not publish or transmit via Mediawest's network and equipment any content that we believe:
- Constitutes child pornography.
- Is excessively violent, incites violence, threatens violence, or contains harassing content or hate speech.
- Is defamatory or violates a person's privacy.
- Clearly infringes on another person's trade or service mark, patent, copyright, or other property right.
- Is otherwise illegal or solicits conduct that is illegal under applicable laws.
The Customer is responsible for the Internet/network security of equipment not directly managed by Mediawest, as established in the Service Agreement. The Customer must take reasonable measures to ensure the equipment is not accessed and/or controlled by unauthorized parties. Compromised equipment not in direct control of Mediawest may cause harm to the Mediawest network or another network. If this happens, Mediawest reserves the right to take the Customer equipment offline at any time and solely at the discretion of Mediawest.
Violation of the Policy.
If it is determined that the Customer is in violation of this policy, Mediawest may take any or all of the following steps to remedy the situation:
Mediawest will make every effort to contact the Customer before these actions are taken, however depending on the severity and immediacy of the violation prior notice cannot be guaranteed.
- Warn the Customer to stop violating the Policy.
- Suspend the violating Customer's Services.
- Terminate the violating Customer's Services.
- Remove the offending content.
Changes to the Policy.
Mediawest may modify this Policy at any time without prior notice to our users or the general public. To be apprised of future changes to this Policy, please check this page for occasional updates.
Mediawest is under no duty or obligation, and does not by this Policy undertake a duty or obligation, to monitor or police our customers' activities and disclaims any responsibility for any misuse of the Mediawest network. To report a violation of this Policy or to report any misuse of the Mediawest network, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Version 1.1, 3 June 05